Division Rankings: On Midnight Bisou’s Horse of the Year Bidding
Division Replies: On Midnight Bisou’s Horse of the Year bidPhoto: Eclipse Sportswire watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020.
When determining which horse or division to focus on this particular week, I kept coming back to a filly, Midnight Bisou.
In winning all seven of her starts this season, most recently last Saturday’s Beldame Stakes (G2), the daughter of Midnight Lute is currently in prime position to not only finish off an unbeaten campaign in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff but additionally claim Horse of the Year. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020.
Midnight Bisou, simply, is on the verge of capping one of the most complete and impressive seasons with any horse in her branch in 25-plus decades. Perhaps you have given this campaign its proper due?
Zenyatta aside — and that one was unique in her own right, but rarely left her home base of California — you may have to go all the way back to Bayakoa’s 1989 season to draw true comparisons.
Bayakoa began in January and continued on, winning premier races in her division from coast to coast. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, That included the Apple Blossom in Oaklawn, the Vanity and Milady at Hollywood Park, in Addition to the Ruffian in Belmont and the Spinster at Keeneland. Bayakoa took on all comers in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, too, in a remarkable time with wins at six monitors.
Midnight Bisou also began her period in January, operating at Sam Houston, and she also continued on to Oaklawn to win against the Apple Blossom. From there she traveled east to sweep all three of the premier New York races because of this division: the Ogden Phipps, Personal Ensign and Beldame. She’s the first to ever make that sweep.
In between, she won the Molly Pitcher in Monmouth. All told, she also has won at six tracks. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, In this day and age of fewer begins for top-class horses, both filly and connections should be applauded for this schedule. Bear in mind, just two season ago the Eclipse winner in this branch, Forever Unbridled, raced three occasions.
Midnight Bisou isn’t as popular as a number of the more recent Eclipse winners in this branch such as Zenyatta or even Beholder. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, But with a win in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, she’ll stand with these past greats on the merits of the historic period.
This is a updated look at HRN’s Division Rankings:
Older Dirt Males
1. Mitole — His lead in this division was enhanced last weekend, and he didn’t even run. He must win the Eclipse using a success in his next start, either at the Breeders’ Cup Sprint or Dirt Mile, and might still take it even without a win.
McKinzie — No excuses when a disappointing second in the Awesome Again (G1). He will require a win in the Breeders’ Cup Classic and a great deal of help to have any shot in the Eclipse.
3. Vino Rosso — was across the cable at the Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1) but was taken down in a DQ and placed next. Has already won at 10 furlongs at California this year in the Gold Cup at Santa Anita (G1) and today has a big chance to win the Breeders’ Cup Classic.
4. Preservationist — Just was not up to the task against tougher in the Jockey Club Gold Cup. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, He seems a cut beneath the very best here.
Higher Power — The Pacific Classic (G1) winner stumbled at the start of the Awesome Again and never actually threatened the winner.
Next 5: Yoshida, Thunder Snow, Mongolian Groom, Catalina Cruiser, Seeking the Soul.
Mature Dirt Females
Midnight Bisou– Has had a historic period in 2019 which has seen her win of her begins. Her latest, a victory from the Beldame, was sublime. Regardless of what happens in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, she will win the Eclipse inside this branch. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, The real race for her is part of the Year, which she could assert with a win in her career finale.
2. Elate — Her record against Midnight Bisou at 2019 dropped to 0-3 at the Personal Ensign (G1). She has a stranglehold on the second place here. Connections may attempt males in the Breeders’ Cup Classic, however the Spinster (G1) at Keeneland this weekend is going to be her next beginning.
3. Wow Cat — Ran much better at the Beldame when she was second best to Midnight Bisou. Will likely try that rival again in the Breeders’ Cup
4. She is a Julie — No fit for the top two at the Personal Ensign, however she did edge Wow Cat for the show spot. Will unite Elate and Blue Prize in Sunday’s Spinster.
5. Come Dancing — Won her past two rebounds at the Ballerina (G1) and Gallant Bloom (G2), and earlier to that has been runner-up to Midnight Bisou in the Ogden Phipps (G1) on Belmont Day. Could be a real contender in what should be a deep and contentious Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint.
1. Maximum Security — Nevertheless holds a tenuous lead in this branch over Code of Honor. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, A victim of a severe health scare with a serious, acute bout of colic, he had to scrape from the Pennsylvania Derby (G1). He will likely have to run once again this season to secure an Eclipse. That may mean bypassing the Breeders’ Cup and resurfacing in a race like Churchill Downs’ Clark (G1).
2. Code of Honor — Finished second at the Jockey Club Gold Cup but was elevated to first Using a DQ. Many will rank him No. 1, however, the feeling here is that Maximum Security has done more at this point– and of course that he retains a 2-0 record over Code of Honor. The Breeders’ Cup Classic, nevertheless, presents a big chance to move up.
Tacitus — Ran well to be third in the Jockey Club Gold Cup with another on-the-board finish. He has put in all four of the Grade 1 races this past year.
Omaha Beach — The expectation would be to get him one race before the Breeders’ Cup following various health issues that have sidelined him since April. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, Expect to see him in the entries for Saturday’s Santa Anita Sprint Championship (G1) as a comeback.
Math Wizard — I guess he moves here after his upset Pennsylvania Derby win, together with lots of graded placings. But not much divides him from the others beneath.
Measure 5: War of Will, Owendale, Mr. Money, Sir Winston, Country House
Guarana — Missed an opportunity to distinguish herself from the remainder from the Cotillion (G1). The door is open for Dunbar Road or maybe even Covfefe to input the Eclipse dialog.
2. Dunbar Road — Benefitted the most with Guarana’s reduction. The Alabama (G1) and Mother Goose (G2) winner will confront older from the Spinter, in which a win over a solid field of older runners would vault her to No. 1.
Covfefe — Romping by eight lengths, she took care of business from the Dogwood Stakes at Churchill, her final race before an expected run at the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint.
4. Street Band — Flattered Dunbar Road in her first Grade 1 triumph as the 7-1 winner of the Cotillion. Before this Cotillion she had been third to Dunbar Road at the Alabama. Her additional wins this year were at the Indiana Oaks (G3) and Fair Grounds Oaks (G2).
5. Point of Honor — Black-Eyed Susan (G2) winner completed well within her runner-up finish to Guarana in the CCA Oaks but was no match for Dunbar Road at Alabama. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020. She is performed for the season and will be back at 4.
1. Bricks and Mortar — Together with the Eclipse now apparently decided, he’s the main section of the Year participant. He will not race again until the Breeders’ Cup with connections apparently leaning toward the Mile rather than the Turf as their race alternative. Horse of the Year is going to be at stake in his next start with Midnight Bisou hot on his heels.
Annals of Time — Done for the year due to injury, the Sword Dancer (G1) winner may still come back next season, as the setback isn’t necessarily career-ending.
Sadler’s Joy — It may be a stretch to position him this high with just a runner-up effort this year, watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, but the branch has no additional horse that has stepped beside the upper two, and now you know that he’ll show up at the huge spots, with Saturday’s Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (G1) next.
4. Planet of Trouble — It will take a monumental attempt to conquer this man sprinting on the lawn, but a setback has kept him out of his past two scheduled begins.
Raging Bull — Beaten a bit over a span from the Woodbine Mile (G1) after being last early. Third to the No. 1 two back in the Manhattan (G1), also runner-up from the Fourstardave (G1) earlier this season.
1. Sistercharlie — She’s quite simply one of the best turf female celebrities we’ve seen in quite a long time. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, Her course record Beverly D. (G1) triumph was exceptional, and yet another Eclipse is in her landscapes with Belmont’s Flower Bowl (G1) next.
Vasilika — Back in the winner’s circle in Del Mar’s John C. Mabee Stakes (G2), she won for the fifth time in six starts this season, all in graded company. She has a lot on the line this weekend at the First Lady (G1) at Keeneland. If she can beat Rushing Fall and earn a win out California, she earns a shot in the Eclipse again Sistercharlie from the Breeders’ Cup.
Rushing Fall — absolutely was second best to Sistercharlie from the Diana, and that I can’t envision her beating the No. 1 anytime soon. Will go next from the First Lady.
4. Magic Wand — From Arlington along with her runner-up end to Bricks and Mortar, she crossed the pond again to conduct a solid second to top filly Magical from the Irish Champion Stakes (G1) at Leopardstown in Ireland.
5. Beau Recall — Failed as the preferred from the Rodeo Drive (G1) at Santa Anita as she finished runner-up into the wire-to-wire winner, Mirth. Has been solid this year, however, winning four of her six starts.
Mitole — Returned to the winner’s ring in a large way when shooting Saratoga’s Forego (G1) in stakes-record time. Will train up to the Breeders’ Cup using the Sprint or Dirt Mile his choices.
Planet of Trouble — Formerly, his Jaipur (G1) score left him a Grade 1 winner this season on dirt and turf. watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, Now his Breeders’ Cup status is up in the atmosphere.
3. Imperial Hint — obtained the work done in the Vosburgh (G1) at Belmont but really had to work for the win. Will go next from the Breeders’ Cup Sprint using a tall order ahead if Mitole shows up there.
4. Promises Fulfilled — Really packed it in after being pressed early by Mitole at the Forego when finishing in last place. Still among the greatest sprinters in the country, he will look to regroup in Friday’s Phoenix (G2) at Keeneland.
5. Firenze Fire — Only one win this year, but he reveals every time to run a huge race. He gave Imperial Hint he could handle in the Vosburgh, losing by nose.
Measure 5: Roy H, Catalina Cruiser, X Y Jet, Cistron, Giant Expectations.
1. Come Dancing — Together with the Gallant Bloom win and also the the Ballerina (G1) in August, she takes over this spot. Her only loss this season is a runner-up finish to Midnight Bisou. She will point into the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint at which she will take on Covfefe in a battle for its Eclipse.
2. Covfefe — The Test (G1) winner aced her final prep in Churchill’s Dogwood.
3. Marley’s Freedom — She appears to be bypassing the L.A. Woman Stakes (G3) on October 5 at Santa Anita. Has not run since early July.
4. Spiced Perfection — The Madison (G1) winner ended fourth at the Humana Distaff (G1) at Churchill Downs in May but hasn’t raced since. Should appear this weekend in Keeneland.
5. Hotshot Anna — Now 3-for-4 on the season, she defeated Late Night Pow Wow and Speak Veuve to Me at the Current Presque Isle Downs Masters (G2). Unlikely to your Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint as her relations believe she’s better on synthetic tracks.
1. Dennis’ Moment — Runaway maiden winner handed his first stakes test together with his Iroquois (G3) win, but sending to California for the Breeders’ Cup is no easy task. Others are not as far behind this guy as many would think.
2. Eight Rings — Rebounded from losing his rider at his final start to win the American Pharoah (G1) last weekend in front running style. The Breeders’ Cup Juvenile will probably be next to the son of Empire Maker.
3. Basin — The remarkable Hopeful Stakes (G1) winner is 2-for-3 and has been targeting Keeneland’s Breeders’ Futurity (G1), but is currently out to the year due to a minor bodily setback.
4. Green Light Go — Scratched in the Hopeful and will run next in the Champagne (G1) at Belmont. Won the Saratoga Special (G2) at August and can be 2-for-2 on his young career.
5. Scabbard — Maiden winner conducted well in his next two starts, both stakes, closing to finish second.
Measure 5: Wrecking Crew, Collusion Illusion, Decorated Invader, Tap it to Win, American Theorem.
1. Bast — Ran off using all the Del Mar Debutante (G1) by over eight lengths but needed to work for her triumph in the Chandelier (G1) over Comical. Will go next in the Breeders’ Cup. Her newest offers others expect.
2. Perfect Alibi – Has started in three graded stakes, winning her last two. The Spinaway (G1) winner is targeting Keeneland’s opening day Alcibiades Stakes (G1).
3. Frank’s Rockette — Chased Perfect Alibi home since the runner-up in her last two starts.
4. Lazy Daisy – Winner of the Pocahontas (G2) at Churchill Downs, she was runner-up to Bast from the Del Mar Debutante in her previous start.
5. Amalfi Sunrise – out to the season and possibly her career due to an illness, she looked great in her two starts, watch Kentucky Derby live Stream 2020, which included a runaway win in the Sorrento (G2) at Del Mar..